Below is the quickest, easiest way to save Illustrator CS3 artwork to JPEG format. This method will allow you to export just the selected artwork, or the entire file. It makes no difference if the artwork is on or off the Artboard.
1. Select the artwork you want to export.
2. Double-click on the Crop Area tool (or press Shift-O [the letter O, not zero] and then return)
3. Choose Fit Crop Area to selected art for the Preset
4. Click the OK button. You may need to manually adjust the crop boundary if your image contains a mask.
5. Choose File > Export
6. In the Export dialog box, choose JPEG for the Format. Give the file a name and a location to save it to.
7. Click the Export button.
8. Fill in the JPEG Options dialog as desired, and click the OK button.
To remove the crop boundary, select the Crop Area tool, and then hit the Delete key.