Now you can convert almost any type of page layout file to InDesign format. Here's how:
1. Out of the box, InDesign can convert QuarkXPress 4 or older files, as well as Adobe PageMaker 6 or 7 files.
2. The Q2ID plug-in from Markzware does a great job of converting Quark 7.2 or older files to InDesign.
3. The just-released PUB2ID plug-in from Markzware will convert Microsoft Publisher 2002-2007 files to InDesign.
4. The brand-new MIF Filter for InDesign from DTP Tools promises to convert FrameMaker MIF files to InDesign.
5. PDF2ID from RecoSoft is a tool for converting PDF files to InDesign format.
Your mileage may vary with these tools, depending on the complexity of your documents and how they are constructed. But even if the conversion only gets you halfway there, it can still save you some significant time.