I'm often asked how to turn full color Illustrator artwork into a grayscale equivalent. This is simple if you know where to look:
1. Open your color .ai or .eps file in Adobe Illustrator CS3/CS4
2. Select the artwork that you want to convert to grayscale
3. Choose Edit > Edit Colors > Convert to Grayscale
That's all there is to it. If the colors in your original artwork don't map to pleasing grays, you can try one or more of the following to adjust the tonal values of the grays:
* Convert your file from CMYK to RGB or vice versa by choosing File > Document Color Mode before you convert it to grayscale. Even though the colors may not look much different in RGB or CMYK on the screen, they will convert to different grayscale tones.
* Choose Edit > Edit Colors > Adjust Color Balance before or after you convert the artwork to grayscale
* Choose Edit > Edit Colors > Saturate after you convert the artwork to grayscale.